Monday, December 1, 2008

Welcome to the Worldbuilding Workshop!

Here it is, as promised...

Let me first extend congratulations to all the NaNoWriMo participants. Whether you hit your 50K or not, it looks like every one of you I've seen has taken some significant strides in their writing. It's a cool endeavor, and one I could never manage myself. I'll try to go easy on you.

I've decided to start with worldbuilding, and then once the worldbuilding part is done, to continue on into language design. At that point, anyone interested in language design can join, or if you would like to continue in the context of a world you've been working on in this workshop, you may feel free to do so.

Here's what we'll do. I'm going to ask any of you who are interested in participating in the worldbuilding workshop to submit a 500-word scenelet to me in my Comments area by December 7th. This scenelet should have the following characteristics:

1. It forms the beginning of a story or novel. (This does not mean it has to be the beginning in your final draft, but I want you to assume that the reader has no prior information.)
2. It has a protagonist and a main conflict, i.e. it is not simply a description of the world you're working with.
3. It demonstrates the characteristics of the world and situates the reader.

I will be reviewing the comments before they are posted publicly, so your work will not automatically appear to public eyes. I'm hoping we can get some examples out in the main sections of the blog as I pick topics to discuss, but I don't want anyone to worry about premature exposure of their text!

I will then post blog discussions and expect all participants to comment and push their worldbuilding forward. Because I will be "digging in" and being very involved in the work that is submitted, I will need to keep the number of participants to five. Given that I had four people express interest, that should be possible... I'm hoping not to have to turn anyone away, but I must keep my sanity. I hope that if anyone misses out they'll get a chance to do this with me on another occasion.

Please feel free to comment with any questions you have, or contact me at the address in my left navigation bar. I'll look forward to seeing your ideas by December 7th!

Juliette

6 comments:

  1. This is very cool. I'd love to participate, but it would have to be from my Kei story. Is that okay, or is it supposed to be something new?

    -K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be interested provided I have time, I just arrived in the US and I need to settle.

    Khajidu

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scenelet doesn't need to be something brand new, but a bit of revision to tune for the purposes of the workshop would be recommended.

    For Khajidu, I'm waiting to see what kind of submission response I have by the deadline of Dec. 7th before I select the five participants. However, this will not be the only time I do this, so if you prefer to wait and settle you won't have lost your chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerry/Cat,

    I'm happy to hear of your interest but I don't have an excerpt from you in my email inbox. The address is info@juliettewade.com . Could you resend please?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Note to Catreona: okay, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

    ReplyDelete