Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Cultural views of "attractiveness" change

I ran across a couple of cool links today I thought I'd share. One is this link, which shows old weight gain ads - I mean, after all, you wouldn't want to be too skinny or you wouldn't get any dates! Another great one is this one, from Jamie Todd Rubin, discussing the ads that appear in the 1940's Astounding magazines. Not only weight but tobacco and many other things were seen differently, and it's very evident in the advertisements he shares. Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Juliette

    I couldn't find your email address to contact you directly, so I decided to send my email as a comment here. I'm a South African writer and would like to contribute to The Writer's International Cultural Share. Specifically, I would like to write about cultural behaviours among Batswana people ( and other Black South African cultures) that contrast sharply with Western practices and which could lead to misunderstandings.

    Here's a sample post on my blog where I talk about Batswana culture
    http://damariasenne.blogspot.com/2009/09/heritage-day-post-setswana-culture.html
    You can learn more about me at http://damariasenne.blogspot.com.

    Thanks,
    Damaria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment, Damaria! I've emailed you. And I'll be fixing my site so it's easier to contact me.

    ReplyDelete