Thursday, September 13, 2012

When are you being selfish? Not when defending your writing!

I was talking with a close writer friend today, discussing the progress I'm making on my novel, which at this point is coming down to a last big push of revisions before it's ready to go out.

Just an hour or so before, I had approached the president of the parent-teacher club at our school, and told her I needed help with the duties I was committed to.

The night before that, I told my husband that I was going to speak to her, and that I felt selfish about it. He told me I shouldn't feel selfish.

So I spoke to her, despite a lot of agonizing. Even having my husband's support, and even after I had done it, when I was talking with the friend who knows that I write and what that means to me, I still felt guilty.

I felt selfish for wanting my writing time.

Being a writer, or an artist, or any kind of creative, self-employed person is hard, because unless you have a deadline coming down from an editor, you don't have the easy excuse of saying, "I have to do it, because someone else is making me." To defend your own work, your own career, your own writing, you have to say, "This is my career, my work, my writing, and I can't help you because I am doing this." When you're not beholden to anyone else, defending your work is selfish by definition, because who cares about finishing it but you?

I suspect this is true even for those who have full-time jobs and who write "on the side." Who is to say that their writing is not the passion of their soul, just because they have to make money to live in some other way, or even because they have another job they enjoy?

At a certain point, you have to acknowledge the importance of what you are doing. It's hard. There are so many barriers to that sense of legitimacy, of actually being a writer. There are so many times when people ask us, "So, have you been published yet?" "Have you written any novels?" "So do you have a real job?" When I get asked these questions, I get an exasperating sense that experiencing the writing vocation is only a few steps away from being the loony relative locked in the attic, telling stories to the walls. It's certainly not a job. The visit of the muse, because it is generally imperceptible, and because so few people share our experience of it, is treated like some kind of pointless fantasy that has no business being proposed as a reason to alter the obligations of objective reality.

But it does. This is my job. This is the career I've always wanted. I expect to spend thirty hours a week doing it, and that means defending it. Of course I have to choose the balance between my writing and my other obligations - all of us balance life and work. Traditional jobs make that easier because the validity of their demands can't be questioned. Don't let the lonely quality of writing convince you that it's egotistical.

If writing is your calling, you're not selfish to defend it.

11 comments:

  1. Amen. I learned this early on. Even with a publishing contract it's not a 9 - 5 job. You can't stop the words from flowing or when they start. Guilt is riddled in this profession because a set time doesn't exist. We take it as it comes. Or at least I do. Even if it is just staring out into space waiting for my muse to hit me upside the head. She does that often. =)

    Balance is key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, E. Arroyo. I have been hit upside the head a few times, as you know.

      Delete
  2. It's so good to have people nearby who support your goals (which I suppose is true whether those goals are writing or in another avenue entirely). I almost didn't go to World Fantasy -- it was too expensive, too far away, too long, I hadn't sold anything at that point -- but my husband had a "we'll make it happen; you should go" attitude that helped me put imposter-syndrome aside and attend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was great to see you there! I certainly feel for you about the imposter syndrome. Good luck with your projects, and thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  3. Great post! I'm not agented or published yet but I always feel like it's selfish of me to take writing time now, but if I do get published at least I'll have an excuse (it's my job). I shouldn't feel selfish about it at all though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, you're in the hardest stage. I remember I used to find myself on planes telling friendly neighbors I was a writer just to "try on" the official persona, but not dare say it to people I actually knew. Think about it as an intensive self-taught course in a vital job skill. It deserves the time you give it, and you shouldn't feel selfish.

      Delete
  4. We need your partner's (if we have one) full support. Everyone else... essentially doesn't matter. The whole world will sometimes seem to be against us, but the worst thing we can do is enable them. Just politely say 'no' and close whatever doors are necessary to provide you the time you need.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Should have been, *OUR partner's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed. I know there are many people who don't have their partner's support, and that is very tough. I wonder if it isn't more difficult for stay-at-home moms, who often get accused of not doing anything anyway. Whoever you are, it's hard to say 'no' without having your worth in the other arena (the one the person wants a yes in) impugned.

      Delete
  6. It's so hard having a full-time job too. My friends and family get sick of it because I'm working "ALL THE TIME," as they put it. I work 40 hours a week for a normal job, then I have another part time job that's average 15 hours a week, to pay the bills, and then I want to come home and write. It leaves barely any time for the people who matter to me. On top of that, I actually have a book contract for a non-fiction book that is due SOON. I have to get it done. But where does it leave time for my heart's desire to write fiction on the side? There's no more time on the side to squeeze things in. [deep sigh]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you, waitingroom. Best of luck with your job and your projects.

      Delete