Thursday, October 6, 2011

Nice rejections count - for a lot

I saw a couple of my friends online discussing "nice" rejections today, so I thought it would be a good idea to revisit the topic, especially since I received one of those relatively recently.

Nice rejections count, people. In a number of ways.

First, they mean that someone took the time to look at your story and really think about it. In the pell-mell world of vast electronic mountains of stories, that's a really important thing. Everything you write that gets some time under an editor's eye should be considered progress, because among other things it enhances the possibility that the editor will remember you should you appear on his or her desk in the future. This year I received a personal email from an editor to whom I had never sold a story, asking me to consider submitting to his new magazines. Now, that may have been because of my published work in Analog, but it may also have had something to do with the fact that I'd also been sending him stories for years at another venue. Every submission you make is a part of your identity in the mind of an editor.

Second, nice rejections mean you're getting close. If the editor really couldn't stand your story, she wouldn't give it a single moment's thought, much less the time it takes to give you comments (however short those comments might be). There was a period of at least a year when almost every rejection I got was "nice," but I had never sold anything. Boy, was that frustrating! But the fact was, I was getting close, even if close lasted a lot longer than I wanted it to.

Third, nice rejections are gold. There's a reason these people are editors. They have (generally) excellent story sense, and so you should listen to what they have to say. I have done rewrites on just about every story that I've gotten a nice rejection for. An editor doesn't have time to tell you what to do in a nice rejection - only to tell you what didn't work for them, and possibly a little something about what they liked. It's your job as the writer to take that information and make something of it. For me it goes something like this: "Gee, he felt confused at the beginning because, as he says here, he lacked a mental image for it at this point. I'd better make sure that I'm giving someone a mental image right about there...and maybe I can start that image right back here at the beginning, so everybody feels more grounded." By the time I'm finished, even though I'll never have a chance to send that same story to that same editor, I still feel as though the story is stronger. And if the story is stronger, the chances that it will land at some other venue go way up.

So writers, be grateful for those nice rejections. Don't feel like you haven't gotten anywhere. It was a lengthy nice rejection that propelled me into the revision that got me my first sale. Those rejections count, and if you treat them right, they can make a difference for your future as a writer.

12 comments:

  1. Hi, Juliette, I love nice rejections, too. And I agree that the close but no cigar-types are great, but very frustrating.

    Where we differ is the rewriting, I'm a Heinlein Rules kinda woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deborah, thanks for the comment! Heinlein Rules is up to you, but if I'd taken that route I would not be published now, which is why I'm an advocate for rewriting. Mind you, I would say that you should only rewrite when a comment speaks to you and to your goal for the story. Maybe it's time for me to do another post on how I plan rewrites based on critiques - but suffice it to say for now that I don't just take advice at face value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be great, Juliette. Of course, like you I'm sure, I've had the experience of receiving editorial comments, and then gone on to sell the story to another (pro) market without change. Editorial taste is variable.

    I think the venue counts for a lot. If the comments came from a very experienced editor from one of my dream markets I would be inclined to pay them more mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, that is another possibility. Selling to a pro market is more than just being "good enough," it's also about appealing to the individual who happens to be the editor! Sometimes I compare it to looking for a Ph.D. advisor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *laughs* I should do a doctorate in short story submissions. I've put in my three years. Now I just need to find my supervisor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you I value substantive comments from editors. In most cases where I've had rewrite requests I've been willing to; even though I like to think myself a brilliant writer who needs no editing, the reality for me is different: if the story isn't working it isn't working. Furthermore, in most cases I can see the editor has an excellent point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, Calvin. I often find myself saying, "That's an excellent point!" and it's then that I go back and start rewriting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Juliette is spot on with this post. I am always trying to learn how to improve and I trust that editors know what they are talking about. My experience is that following their advice works. After years of form letter rejections from Analog, I sent them a story in 2008 and got a page-long rejection from Stan, telling me he liked me writing and explaining what was wrong with the story I'd sent him. I took that to heart, wrote another story trying to avoid those mistakes, and sent it to him. He sent it back with another page-long letter, this time with some different advice. So I wrote a third story trying to incorporate what I learned, and I sent him another story. That story was "Take One For the Road" and Stan bought it. It appeared in the June 2011 issue.

    I've had similar experience with other editors, most notably Edmund Schubert at InterGalactic Medicine Show. Getting this kind of feedback, in my mind, is invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for commenting, Jamie! What an interesting story about Stan - congratulations again on your story at Analog. And thanks for the tip about Edmund Schubert, as I hope to "see" his desk before long.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chiming in late, but I agree nice rejects are important. They give you a sense that you're getting somewhere, and when the comment clicks, a revision may be in order.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Juliette, you hit the nail on the head. Cliche', I know, but you did.

    I recently got a 'request for resubmission' from a publisher. I don't like to think of these as rejections because they would have said, 'No, absolutely not', if it was rejected. Instead, I got pages upon pages of information, red-lines, suggestions and ideas on how to improve. At the end, there was a request to re-submit if I decided to take them up on their suggestions.

    I, of course, said yes, and am in the middle of the biggest edit I've done on my novel. This was a goldmine of information and I cherish every word, every strike-through, every idea, every suggestion. Authors can't buy this sort of information and I am very, very lucky to have received such interest.

    It has brought out the best in me and my writing. The editor was amazing and I hope they like my edited story so much that they'll want to publish. Whether they do or not, I learned a lot and consider it an honor that I got the feedback I did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jenny, requests for resubmission are even one step better than nice rejections! (Though in my experience it can sometimes be difficult to determine whether you've received one or the other.) Thanks for sharing your experience, and good luck with the resubmit!

    ReplyDelete